Sunday, September 25, 2011

¡Lucha Libre!

Well then. The summer is over and a two huge projects have been wrapped up in the last two months, making me a very busy cephalopod indeed. The hiatus this blog has been on has not been accidental, but a direct result of me focusing my energy on those projects. One of them is still dwindling, not exactly craft-related, and I will have something to show for it in the next couple of weeks. The other, however, is something you have seen bits and pieces of since April. It all started with this dress:


Next followed this mask:


Other bits and pieces have been completed since, such as this mod of an existing bra:

The ruffle, fringe and rose have been sewed on. There were also sequins.

There were many nights of frantic sewing, and it was all rather lovely.

Sewing layers and layers of fringe, however, was not.

And then there were of course all the choreographing and rehearsing and all that jazz, every bit of which I sorely miss. All of it culminated into one amazing weekend at the end of August: ¡Lucha Libre! All the following pictures are by Nino Hynninen, unless otherwise stated. More can be found here and here.


Apparently I have confidence. Who would have guessed?



DSC_3655
Picture by Suvi Korhonen



Thriller dance in the middle of a fight! I made those golden pants, too.






Dont' you just love my skeleton dancers? They rocked!



Fake tattoos, check. Bruises, check. Keeping it classy!


I have to say this was probably one of the best times of my entire life up to this point. Starting from practically no martial arts experience whatsoever I, and many others, practiced up to a point where being slammed down on a thin mattress was no big deal at all. Actually, I really miss being thrown around and then slapped a bit for a good measure. Good times. Amazing, every bit of it, and I'm quite sorry that it's over. As for burlesque, this was my first time on stage and now that the initial shock has worn I'm sure it won't be the last time. I am a strong believer in challenging yourself and testing your limits, and hoo boy did I do that this time!

Tutorial coming? Maaybe.


Now it's time to move on to new projects, and old too. I have so much to show and tell that regular updates are to be expected. Or irregular - tomorrow I'm going to post a special entry to mark the anniversary of something life-changingly grand and important.

No comments:

Post a Comment